Sections of the textbook covered on Exam I:
- 1.2.1, 1.2.2 EM Waves
- 1.3 Special relativity
- 1.5.1-3 Appendix to special relativity
- 2.1.1-3, 2.1.5-6 Quantum hypothesis & radiation
- 2.2.1-3 Photoelectric
- 2.3.1-3 Photons / Compton
- 2.4.1, 2.4.2 de Broglie, uncertainty
Things not in the textbook on Exam I (from notes provided):
- Power radiated by an accelerated charge (no derivations, just the Larmor formula)
- More detailed discussion of Compton scattering
Remember that you can bring in one standard 8.5x11in sheet of paper with formulas, etc., front & back. If you write on only one side, you can bring 2 sheets. Bring a calculator.
A few more practice problems will show up this evening.